The school is situated north of the city centre off Carmarthen Road between the major road junction at Dyfatty and the Cwmbwrla roundabout.
The school was built in 1875 and has been extensively re-modelled on semi-open plan lines to provide a pleasant and spacious teaching environment. The teaching areas are on three separate floors and the hall is used as a dining area and accommodates a servery where meals are cooked on site. On the fourth floor the school houses ‘Flying Start’ which incorporates free child-care for children aged 2 to 3 and, in special circumstances babies.
The school has two separate hard-surface playing areas. The school serves a well-established community of mostly private housing but the area has undergone many changes over the years with development on nearby reclaimed industrial land.